Pulpotomy or Pulpectomy | Project HOME

Pulpotomy or Pulpectomy


Sometimes painful teeth may be saved with a root canal instead of extracted. Your dentist can help you decide on the best treatment. Although we do not currently do root canals at our clinic, we can do a procedure called a “pulpotomy” or “pulpectomy” to get you out of pain. We may remove part or all of the nerve from a tooth and then place a medicated filling to help soothe the pain until you can be seen by an endodontist (root canal specialist). This is only the first part of the root canal therapy, and you will need to follow up for completion of the root canal and a permanent restoration to save the tooth.