Hub of Hope Outcomes Report | 2012
The Hub of Hope is a walk‐in engagement center located under Two Penn Center in Philadelphia, providing social and health services to individuals experiencing long‐term homelessness living in and around the subway Concourses. The inaugural season lasted from January through April 2012.
Goals of the Hub of Hope
- Assist individuals with the process of moving into permanent housing
- Connect people to physical and behavioral healthcare, including linkage to on-going primary care treatment
- Utilize peer support to welcome and engage people into services
- Learn necessary, strategic, and effective tools and methods to better assist individuals who are homeless in the long term.
- 1317 social service visits from 360 unique individuals
- 292 medical visits from 134 unique individuals
- 103 essential medical assessments and forms completed for housing, services, and benefits
- 95 placements into shelter, treatment, and other housing options around the City
- 30 individuals connected to primary care providers
- Developed a sense of community, not only among the homeless participants, staff, and volunteers in the Hub, but also the neighboring Concourse businesses, SEPTA and Philadelphia police, and partnering provider agencies.
- Offered easy access to health services for individuals experiencing homelessness, along with the ability for consistent follow-‐up.
- Demonstrated the effectiveness of peer support working with other professionals in creating higher levels of engagement with the people targeted to serve.
2012 Lessons Learned
- Centralized, convenient location promoted initial access and continued follow-‐up.
- Operating hours created difficulty with appointment follow-‐through.
- Strength of collaboration with city departments, organizations, and providers made for a strong project.
- Following up with participants after outreach and engagement, as they utilized other services, kept these individuals more connected to those same services.
- Strategically target efforts of Philadelphia Outreach teams to collaborate and assess, engage, plan, and follow-‐up with individuals living in and around the Concourse.
- Explore creative ways to provide consolidated social and health services in easily accessible locations
- Designate specific housing and treatment resources for the longest-‐term street-‐dwelling homeless populations in Center City; proactively designate Outreach teams to engage these individuals.