Hub of Hope Outcomes Report | 2012
The Hub of Hope is a walk-‐in engagement center located under Two Penn Center in Philadelphia, providing social and health services to individuals experiencing long-‐term homelessness living in and around the subway Concourses. The inaugural season lasted from January through April 2012.
Goals of the Hub of Hope
- Assist individuals with the process of moving into permanent housing
- Connect people to physical and behavioral healthcare, including linkage to on-going primary care treatment
- Utilize peer support to welcome and engage people into services
- Learn necessary, strategic, and effective tools and methods to better assist individuals who are homeless in the long term.
- 1317 social service visits from 360 unique individuals
- 292 medical visits from 134 unique individuals
- 103 essential medical assessments and forms completed for housing, services, and benefits
- 95 placements into shelter, treatment, and other housing options around the City
- 30 individuals connected to primary care providers
- Developed a sense of community, not only among the homeless participants, staff, and volunteers in the Hub, but also the neighboring Concourse businesses, SEPTA and Philadelphia police, and partnering provider agencies.
- Offered easy access to health services for individuals experiencing homelessness, along with the ability for consistent follow-‐up.
- Demonstrated the effectiveness of peer support working with other professionals in creating higher levels of engagement with the people targeted to serve.
2012 Lessons Learned
- Centralized, convenient location promoted initial access and continued follow-‐up.
- Operating hours created difficulty with appointment follow-‐through.
- Strength of collaboration with city departments, organizations, and providers made for a strong project.
- Following up with participants after outreach and engagement, as they utilized other services, kept these individuals more connected to those same services.
- Strategically target efforts of Philadelphia Outreach teams to collaborate and assess, engage, plan, and follow-‐up with individuals living in and around the Concourse.
- Explore creative ways to provide consolidated social and health services in easily accessible locations
- Designate specific housing and treatment resources for the longest-‐term street-‐dwelling homeless populations in Center City; proactively designate Outreach teams to engage these individuals.